Strategic Direction 6: Strengthen the Capacity of Civil Society Organizations to Promote Better Territorial Management
Institution: Xavante Association of Etenhiritipá & #8211; AXE
Responsible: Jurandir Siridiwe Xavante and Fernanda Viegas Reichardt
Email: jurandirsiridiwexavante @ gmail; email@example.com
Phone: +55 (66) 9 9230-2322
Priority Corridor: Other corridors (Araguaia)
County: (MT) Canarana and Ribeirão Cascalheira
General objective: To develop, through the “Xavante de Etenhiritipá” and “Roncador Peoples Alliance” policies, a pilot capacity project on governance and environmental / territorial protection that is replicable to other local Xavantes. Specifically, the project aims to guide, strengthen and enable associations to implement integrated actions for the conservation of the Cerrado of the Indigenous Land Pimentel Barbosa - Araguaia Corridor, based on an economic instrument: Payment for Environmental Services - PSA. It also encourages the adoption of sustainable practices that contribute to the quality, quantity and water leakage regime of the Tocantins-Araguaia and Amazon (Xingu River sub-basin) watersheds in an environmentally sustainable, economically attractive and financially feasible manner.
- Collectively identify the socio-environmental problems of the Pimentel Barbosa Indigenous Land.
- Qualify the basic resources needed to understand the concept of environmental service through dynamics and interactive activities.
- Start a discussion about a relationship between the Xavante people and the different types of services that ecosystems provide to humanity, valuing the traditional cultural knowledge of the Xavante people, as well as intercultural dialogue.
- Collectively build a measurement relationship that enables PSA.
- Introducing simple geoprocessing tools.
- Perform participatory and community mapping.
- List land management techniques that contribute to achieving the PSA.
- Analyze and obtain solutions to the problems identified in the first stage of training.
- Idealization of future scenarios.
- Discuss the measures that enable communities to achieve their desired scenarios, taking into account the social and political context mentioned.
- Put into practice the model of collaborative governance created and promote dialogue/involvement of local, regional, national and/or global actors.
Support amount: U$ 34,865.01
Duration: 17 months (June 2019 to November 2020)
Images provided by AXE