Strategic Direction 4: Supporting the Protection of Endangered Species
Institution: Ariramba Institute of Nature Conservation
Responsible: Flávio Kulaif Ubaid
Phone: + 55 (14) 3208-3903
Priority Corridor: Sertão Veredas – Peruaçu
County: (BA) Cocos; (MG) Chapada Gaúcha, Formoso, Arinos, Januária; (SP) Borebi and Lençóis Paulista
Protected Areas: PARNA Grande Sertão Veredas; RPPN Porto Cajueiro e RPPN Olavo Egydio Setúbal
General objective: To restore populations of bicudo(Sporophila maximiliani) in areas where it is already extinct and to produce knowledge about the species.
- Install 2 vivarium for setting in PARNA Grande Sertão Veredas and 4 in RPPN Porto Cajueiro.
- Screen about 60 individuals in stock for selection of pure lines of the maximiliani form (genetic / morphological examinations) and sexing.
- Transport at least 40 selected individuals to the nurseries in the breeding seasons of 2017 and 2018.
- Reintroduce at least 10 pairs of bicudo in PARNA Grande Sertão Veredas and 10 in RPPN Porto Cajueiro, in the reproductive seasons of 2017 and 2018.
- Develop and disseminate a protocol with basic guidelines for screening and reintroduction of Passeriformes.
- Contribute to the actions of the PAN of the Cerrado and Pantanal Birds.
Support amount: U$ 20.766,77
Duration: 28 months (December 2017 to April 2020)
Images courtesy of the Instituto Ariramba de Conservação da Natureza