Strategic Direction 4: Supporting the Protection of Endangered Species
Institution: Belo Horizonte ZooBotany Foundation Friends Society
Responsible: Fernando Moreira Fernandes
Phone: +55 (31) 3277-8323
Corridor: Other Corridors (Serra do Espinhaço)
County: (MG) Paraopeba; Sete Lagoas; Matozinhos; Lagoa Santa; Inhaúmas; Esmeraldas; Fortuna de Minas; São José da Varginha; Perdigão; Pequi; Juatuba; Maravilhas; Mateus Leme; Para-de-Minas and Nova Serrana
Protected Areas: Parque Estadual do Sumidouro and APA Carste Lagoa Santa
General objective: To increase the protection of faveiro-de-wilson and its habitat by implementing actions from its National Action Plan.
- Review the state legal instrument for specific protection of the faveiro-de-wilson.
- Act as a facilitator in the formalization process of the Rural Environmental Registry-CAR.
- Increase community awareness and participation.
- Work with minhoqueiros (minhocuçu extractors) to reduce impacts of their activity on faveiro-de-wilson habitat and individuals.
- Promote an event to disseminate scientific knowledge (holding a symposium on the conservation of the faveiro-de-wilson and its habitat, with the participation of at least 60 people)
- Grow the species in nursery.
- Extend the reintroduction of the species.
- Improve monitoring of remaining and reintroduced plants.
- Propose creation and / or expansion of conservation units in priority areas of the extent of occurrence of the species.
Support amount: U$ 20,643.86
Duration: 29 months (November 2017 to April 2020)
Images courtesy of the Sociedade de Amigos da Fundação ZooBotânica de Belo Horizonte